Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 6: The Orb & David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres (2010)

I'm not at all familiar with "ambient house pioneers" The Orb, but when I heard that David Gilmour was singing and playing on some kind of weird, ambient electronic album I was definitely interested. David Gilmour is best known for his work with Pink Floyd (in case you live under a rock or something), and I've always preferred both his voice and playing style over Roger Waters'. Waters has grown on me more recently, but I still will always love David Gilmour a lot.

Well, as excited as I was to see what kind of ambient awesomeness these two could put together, it is a serious bore. 2 tracks, the first being 28 minutes and the second around 20, are pretty damn boring even for ambient music. Add into that a few lines of hippy-ish "freedom! human rights!" lyrics that only last a few seconds and this whole thing just left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

If you want to hear David Gilmour doing slide guitar to awesome ambient stuff, go listen to the intros from Welcome to the Machine or Shine On You Crazy Diamond. This thing is lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment