Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 1: Camel - Breathless (1978)

The conclusion I came to while listening to this album is that I picked the wrong album.  I've heard lots of great things about Camel, and the songs here and there that I've heard I generally liked.  Stylistically Camel comes from the same 70's prog-rock type of school that King Crimson, Uriah Heep, ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc. come from.

However, Breathless seems like they were starting to move on from the prog and more towards radio friendly keyboard rock or something.  Wikipedia confirmed my thoughts... basically I need to go back and listen to Mirage or one of their other early albums.  Still, Breathless has some decent moments.  It's by no means bad.  Echoes is a pretty cool track, and the instrumental song near the end is pretty awesome too.

Another thing I noticed -- a few of the songs start sounding like Sonic levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment